Southern League: Thatcham Town 1-0 Blackfield and Langley

Southern League: Thatcham Town 1-0 Blackfield and Langley

By Daniel Lewis
23 March
Share via

Jack Alexander’s second half strike dented Blackfield and Langley’s title push as Thatcham Town held on to claim a crucial 1-0 win.

The opening minutes of the game saw a tense Thatcham fail to clear their lines in the penalty area from a deep cross. The ball fell to a free Patrick Nolan who lashed his effort towards the top corner – only for Calum Ward to produce a sensational save to deny the Watersiders.

Thatcham pushed back and came close to taking the lead after 20 minutes. A lofted ball up the pitch found Kyle Tooze deep in the Blackfield half. Goalkeeper Lewis Noice attempted to close play down and was almost caught out by an audacious lob which went whiskers wide.

Just moments later the visitors thought they were in front. Ryan Oatley’s well-timed cross found the head of Connor Doe before ending up in the bottom corner, but the goal was ruled out for a foul in the Kingfishers’ box.

The hosts gained more confidence as the half continued and threatened when Adam Kelly’s low driven effort outside of the box was denied well by Noice.

But the closest chance of the half fell to Blackfield and Langley on the 35th minute. Fatah Makhloufi’s driven corner was met by a rising Sam Poole before cannoning off the crossbar.

The second half offered less chances for the visitors as Thatcham continued to gain more possession on the ball.

A well-timed through ball from Scott Rees divided the Blackfield defence to find Kyle Tooze. Unfortunately for the hosts, the frontman smashed his shot high over the crossbar in the 60th minute.

Thatcham had a claim for a penalty shortly afterwards when George Jeacock received the ball just inside the Blackfield box. The attacker shielded the ball before going down it a challenge from two defenders but the referee waved play on.

But the hosts were to be rewarded with the only goal of the game in the 72nd minute. Kyle Tooze made a bursting run down the left before dragging a low cross towards the front post. Alexander managed to navigate himself in front of the Blackfield defence before poking his effort in from close range.

Despite a continued pursuit by Blackfield to gain an equaliser late on, Thatcham held firm to claim a crucial three points over the current table-toppers.


Thatcham Town: Ward, Miller, Williams, Melledew (C), Thomas, Beeden, Alexander, Rees, Tooze, Jeacock, Kelly.

Substitutes: Stanley, Helmore, Cattell, Tennant, Low.

Blackfield and Langley: Noice, Baughan, Oatley, Olumuyiwa, Poole (C), Doe, Bearwish, Nolan, Plummer, Gunson, Makhloufi.

Substitutes: Elliot, Sharp, Waterfield, Tomasso, Hill.

Referee: Grzegor Kornasiewicz

Assistants: Andy Heath & Costandinos Christodoulou.

Share via