Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Thatcham Town Football Club app


Evesham Town 1 Thatcham Town 2

By Benjamin Schiffer-Harte

Thatcham Town comeback from 1 down to win 2-1 for the 2nd game in a row

Thatcham Town travellers on a sunny Sunday to Gloucestershire where they faced Evesham United.

On paper this game looked set to be a trickier one than it turned out to be. New signing Jordy Ngathe started as RB whilst another new signing McKoy Palmer joined the subs bench.

As soon as the whistle blew, both teams were quick to make a go of it and Evesham found themselves in the 1st minute flagged offside after catching the defence off guard.

Town pounced back and after the 5th minute some clever play between Ngathe and Tom Melledew got the ball up to Shane Cooper-Clark. The ball was tackled and went out for corner which is eventually cleared upfield.

Minutes later Scott Rees is fouled for his first of the day before the ball passed to Gabbidon but foul given over advantage. The resulting free kick went to the corner flag and was smothered by defenders.

On the quarter hour some silky play by Evesham’s No7 found a way through but was stopped by James Clark who tracked back.

Two minutes later a long throw from Angell fell to Gabbidon who broke through to shoot but the ball is ever so slightly touched by keeper and went out for corner.

New player Ngathe started to show why he was snapped up from Banbury, by holding up the ball well but his shirt got pulled before being able to pass.

Curtis Angell on the opposite side of defence was a busy player and he blocked a shot on goal from the edge of the box.

Michael Miller who was partnered in the Central Defence with Gareth Thomas, was also kept busy having to prevent many waves of attack.

As the half hour approached both Cooper-Clark and Jeacock registered shots on goal with Cooper-Clark’s taken from 12 yards out but blocked and the latter’s flashed his across the 6 yard box.

The first card of the game came from a foul on Angell who was fouled after clearing the ball. 5 minutes later Scott Rees was given a Yellow for a late tackle.

Despite the run of play the first goal landed in favour of the home side after Sean Brain manages to get free from the defence and scored in what was the last kick before half time.

Eager to draw level Thatcham Town came out guns blazing and Clark, Cooper Clark and Jeacock all register shots but none are lucky enough to go in.

Evesham looked set to double their lead only for the strength of Thomas and Angell stopping an attack short.

The defining moments of the game soon came when Gabbidon pressed forward after some clever passing and scored his first for the club.
Only a minute later Clark (saviour of the previous game) scored an absolute cracker to put Thatcham Town 2-1 up.

It seemed as though Evesham had lost their stride and Thatcham looked for a 3rd.

An incident spotted by the linesman which was later reported to have been a stamp resulted in a Red being given to Evesham’s No 16 who hadn’t been on the pitch long.

A final shot by the Home team whizzed over the top of the bar safely watched by Rackley and that was to be the last effort on goal.

Thatcham had come back again from 1nil down and this win had propelled them into lofty 8th place.

Should you wish to see the boys in action, do come to Waterside Park next week when they host Cirencester Town in the FA Trophy. Saturday 13th October 3pm

Updated 21:34 - 1 Nov 2018 by Andy Morris

Where next?

Thatcham Town Youth win 3-0 in the Berks and Bucks Cup After last week’s win under new manager Ben Thornton, Thatcham Town Youth win 3-0 against Cumnor Minors to progress into the 2nd round.
Development Team face Longlevens AFC in Challenge Cup After last week’s 3-2 win against Farringdon, the Development side play Longlevens away in the 2nd round.

Thu 22 Aug
Under 18s Bracknell Town FC
League 19:30
Thu 29 Aug
Under 18s Flackwell Heath FC
League 19:45

News sponsors


Club sponsors